Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I trawled our database today, seeing how many games associated with each of our genres were released each year. Grinding that down into percentages of games released per year, I thought it might show some interesting trends of how genres have appeared and died over the years. So, here's a chart:

(the blank section to fill up to 100% are the other genres, not individually shown here - I was only focusing on the top 30)

Of course, this is all subject to the games that have been entered into our database so far, and the interest areas of the VGGers who have entered them, but with close to 24,000 games in the system I would think we're not too far from reality here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty neat graph. Really pretty!

This is also dependent on the accuracy and thoroughness of who is doing the data entry.

-And many games have multiple themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
-And many games have multiple themes.

And genres
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd hazard a guess that that big bulge in the Puzzle genre at the late end of the graph is likely due to the boom in mobile and perhaps also browser gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
I'd hazard a guess that that big bulge in the Puzzle genre at the late end of the graph is likely due to the boom in mobile and perhaps also browser gaming.

Pretty much, yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
This confirms my feeling that there are to few flight sims!
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...now onto themes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, where are all the arcade games going?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
They're not less, the rest is more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
They're not less, the rest is more!

Exactly this. We have numerically more 2011 Arcade games in the system than we do 1982 Arcade games. It's just the percentages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enjoy some homing fireballs!
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, "Arcade" is a platform, not a genre. And "Action" is a broad classification, not a genre. And "Scrolling" is definitely not a genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Australia
Southbank
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that genres are artificial constructs rather than objectively measurable values, it hardly matters. A graph like this is meant to represent broad brush strokes. None of it is scientific, and I don't think anybody involved in making genre inclusion decisions had any illusions that it was. It's entirely possible to dispute that something does or does not feel like a genre to you, but it's not really in the spirit of the collaborative effort that this site is to suggest something cannot be a genre because of that personal judgement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting now that we have all the technology to make stunning action games (or similar very well known genres), there's a rise for simpler, puzzle games (most of them, at least, are a lot simpler).

Perhaps we've outgrown our need for fancy visuals? I know I have, for the most part...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bacusgod wrote:
It's interesting now that we have all the technology to make stunning action games (or similar very well known genres), there's a rise for simpler, puzzle games (most of them, at least, are a lot simpler).

Perhaps we've outgrown our need for fancy visuals? I know I have, for the most part...

Or years ago hardware capable of games only made into the hands of the technologically and games-focused portion of the populace. With everyone having a gaming device in their pocket nowadays though, mass market appeal games are intentionally less hardcore and easier to consume and understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
...now onto themes!

Video Game Theme Percentages per Year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The graph confuses me. Shouldn't genres like Flight Sims or Wargames start out high on the left and then drop sharply to the right side of this graph??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
The graph confuses me. Shouldn't genres like Flight Sims or Wargames start out high on the left and then drop sharply to the right side of this graph??

Well, there wouldn't have been a huge percentage of the market as either at the far left hand side as early computers didn't have the power to render even simple flightsims pre-80's or run real-time wargames similarly in the era of turn-based gaming.

It looks like flightsim's prevalent days was in the 90's, from the graph, and RTS/strategy games (which wargames would be a subset of) have been relatively constant proportionally since 1980.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bacusgod wrote:

No. It is just waaaaaaaay easier nowadays to create (and publish) simple little jewels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Love love love this chart! Thanks for putting it together Nick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
admin
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
Ncik wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Well, there wouldn't have been a huge percentage of the market as either at the far left hand side as early computers didn't have the power to render even simple flightsims pre-80's or run real-time wargames similarly in the era of turn-based gaming.

It looks like flightsim's prevalent days was in the 90's, from the graph, and RTS/strategy games (which wargames would be a subset of) have been relatively constant proportionally since 1980.

Yet 'simulation' seems to have remained fairly constant from when it first appears in the 80s.

We don't have many flight or space simulators today. We don't have a lot of things like tank simulators (not like the heyday of games like M1 Tank Platoon, Wargasm).

We have a small number of train games, and of course a decent amount of driving games (though surely not significantly greater in proportion than in the 80s or 90s).

So where are all the simulators coming from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryces wrote:
Ncik wrote:
wytefang wrote:

Yet 'simulation' seems to have remained fairly constant from when it first appears in the 80s.

We don't have many flight or space simulators today. We don't have a lot of things like tank simulators (not like the heyday of games like M1 Tank Platoon, Wargasm).

We have a small number of train games, and of course a decent amount of driving games (though surely not significantly greater in proportion than in the 80s or 90s).

There are a number of sports management games that get tagged with "simulation" as a genre. That could be part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomish Mustard wrote:
Love love love this chart! Thanks for putting it together Nick!

One more: Video Game Platform Percentages per Year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziilch wrote:
bryces wrote:
Ncik wrote:
wytefang wrote:

There are a number of sports management games that get tagged with "simulation" as a genre. That could be part of it.
Games like Blazing Angels II: Secret Missions of WWII are also labeled 'flight sim', though I can't phantom why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Games like Blazing Angels II: Secret Missions of WWII are also labeled 'flight sim', though I can't phantom why.

Is there a reason it shouldn't be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely because it is more an arcade/action game than a real simulation.
Same reason why Battlefield 3 is no simulation (but ARMA 2 is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.