Recommend
24 
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

VGG» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: Video Game Genre Percentages per Year rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: nciks-stats [+] [View All]
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
Most likely because it is more an arcade/action game than a real simulation.
Same reason why Battlefield 3 is no simulation (but ARMA 2 is).
We do note in our description of the "Flight Simulator" genre:

"The degree of detail and realism varies widely and may range from simple generic cockpit replicas to actual aircraft cockpits with wide-field visual systems. Flight simulation is most commonly used for aircraft, spacecraft, and more rarely dragon riding in fantasy games."

so, degree of realism isn't really a criteria we limit by.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ncik wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:
Games like Blazing Angels II: Secret Missions of WWII are also labeled 'flight sim', though I can't phantom why.
Is there a reason it shouldn't be?
I dunno.

Is this a racing simulator?

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ncik wrote:
so, degree of realism isn't really a criteria we limit by.
Agreed. And that's why there's a pretty large percentage of simulators. While there aren't really that many around.

But the last thing I would want, is a discussion about what is and what is not. So I'm fine by this. Just explaining the graph.

(And smirking, every time I see 'simulator' noted for some arcade game)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Ncik wrote:
so, degree of realism isn't really a criteria we limit by.
Agreed. And that's why there's a pretty large percentage of simulators. While there aren't really that many around.

But the last thing I would want, is a discussion about what is and what is not. So I'm fine by this. Just explaining the graph.

(And smirking, every time I see 'simulator' noted for some arcade game)
Yeah, I generally just defer to the submitters when they list genres on the game submissions. They tend to know more about the games than I do.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ncik wrote:
Harlekin wrote:
Most likely because it is more an arcade/action game than a real simulation.
Same reason why Battlefield 3 is no simulation (but ARMA 2 is).
We do note in our description of the "Flight Simulator" genre: [...]
Which is not visible when selecting the genres while creating a game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
Ncik wrote:
Harlekin wrote:
Most likely because it is more an arcade/action game than a real simulation.
Same reason why Battlefield 3 is no simulation (but ARMA 2 is).
We do note in our description of the "Flight Simulator" genre: [...]
Which is not visible when selecting the genres while creating a game.
Nope. But is is when you selected it: select genre and when it's added to the game, click the hyperlink. New tab, with description. Then you can decide to keep it, or to remove it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about dialing a random number than beg the guy on the other end to ride to the next town in his carriage and ask the major if he can google the mailing address of one of the admin who then after receiving the letter might be so nice as to check that link leading to the description and snail mailing the stuff to a chinese factory owner who then prints and bakes a number of fortune cookies which I then might find in my next order from the local asian food deliverer.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
Avatar
Microbadge: Look up at the starsMicrobadge: and not down at your feet.Microbadge: Try to make sense of what you see,Microbadge: and wonder about what makes the universe exist.Microbadge: Be curious. - Stephen Hawking
Ziilch wrote:
Yeah, I generally just defer to the submitters when they list genres on the game submissions. They tend to know more about the games than I do.
Not necessarily.

It's an interesting contrast with BGG where all users vote on which subdomain a game will fall under, but in VGG the genre and theme are left up to the discretion of the person who submitted the game or most recently had a correction approved.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
I thought about dialing a random number than beg the guy on the other end to ride to the next town in his carriage and ask the major if he can google the mailing address of one of the admin who then after receiving the letter might be so nice as to check that link leading to the description and snail mailing the stuff to a chinese factory owner who then prints and bakes a number of fortune cookies which I then might find in my next order from the local asian food deliverer.
That might work too.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First page on reddit. Nicely done.
6 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BookandGame wrote:
First page on reddit. Nicely done.
Thank you.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
A flight simulator is a game which attempts to recreate aspects of flight in a realistic manner within the inherent limitations of the particular platform involved.
Absolutely disagree with this. By this definition something that was classified as a flight sim on the Amiga is no longer a flight sim when run on a Windows machine just because the platform is capable of better realism. The capabilities of the platform have nothing to do with whether something is a flightsim or not.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I do agree with Mav a long way, I think VGG should be unwise to categorize all sorts of games differently than 'main stream'.

A panel of experts (who's an arcade expert?) sounds good, but if all sorts of sites and shops on the internet label game X a flightsim, and VGG does not, I think we're making ourselves less accessible.

Clearly this 'main stream' does not use a panel of expert. Probably just a bunch of cheap, just graduated PR people, judging by what I've seen so far. But I don't think it's fair to call it a 'VGG admin X' decision, entirely.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
Ncik wrote:
The Maverick wrote:
A flight simulator is a game which attempts to recreate aspects of flight in a realistic manner within the inherent limitations of the particular platform involved.
Absolutely disagree with this. By this definition something that was classified as a flight sim on the Amiga is no longer a flight sim when run on a Windows machine just because the platform is capable of better realism. The capabilities of the platform have nothing to do with whether something is a flightsim or not.
How does that scenario apply to my definition? If a flight simulator runs on two different platforms, it is "within the inherent limitations of the particular platform" and falls within the definition, not outside it as you suggest.
If any game runs on a platform, it's obviously "within the inherent limitations of the particular platform".

If I created a new game today that looks like this:



and it ran on Windows 7/8 only, it would still be a flightsim, even though the platform is capable of much much more. Platform capabilities and genre are unrelated.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
Ncik wrote:
The Maverick wrote:
Ncik wrote:
The Maverick wrote:
A flight simulator is a game which attempts to recreate aspects of flight in a realistic manner within the inherent limitations of the particular platform involved.
Absolutely disagree with this. By this definition something that was classified as a flight sim on the Amiga is no longer a flight sim when run on a Windows machine just because the platform is capable of better realism. The capabilities of the platform have nothing to do with whether something is a flightsim or not.
How does that scenario apply to my definition? If a flight simulator runs on two different platforms, it is "within the inherent limitations of the particular platform" and falls within the definition, not outside it as you suggest.
If any game runs on a platform, it's obviously "within the inherent limitations of the particular platform".

If I created a new game today that looks like this:



and it ran on Windows 7/8 only, it would still be a flightsim, even though the platform is capable of much much more. Platform capabilities and genre are unrelated.
I am not sure what your point is, as both of my quotes above are in agreement with this proposition. To paraphrase:

If a flight simulator can run on a platform, it is 'within the inherent limitations of the particular platform' and falls within my definition of a flightsim, not outside it as you suggest it would.
So, basically, the whole "within the inherent limitations of the particular platform involved" point on the original comment wasn't really saying anything?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
I stand by my definition of the flight simulator genre as a reasonable and non-controversial one, and am surprised at your level of resistance to it.
I'm unclear what your definition is then? It seems to just be a game involving flight and some undefined level of realism (which our genre definition clearly notes is of lesser importance). Blazing Angels is listed under "Simulation - Flight" on GameFAQs, and as a "Flight Simulator" on GiantBomb, so there clearly is some blurred line in what is and is not generally considered a flightsim - it is not a case of us listing it one way and the entirety of the gaming community listing it another, as is being implied.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |